Come Baaaaack!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Musing

I do not walk home from the gym. I swagger.

I realized recently that the release of endorphins from exercise makes me feel superior, arrogant, and powerful. Even when I've done a lame pussy-workout compared to the majority of the room, I feel like I could fuckin' lift them in the air and spin them as a Globetrotter might a small orange basketball. And afterwards, I'm far less nervous about checking out girls in the locker room (though they've all seemingly mastered the art of towel-changing, a feat I'm so bad at that I tend to change in the wheelchair bathroom stall so I can flail in peace). I John-Wayne my way into the store, and when they don't have my food, I get the urge to stick the small Asian clerk's head in a toilet.

And then, I wondered--if acting like a jock in one way (working out) makes me want to act like a jock in others (bullying, ladies), could I find a biological explanation for other cliquish stereotypical behaviors? Is it endorphins's fault all along, not violent TV or whatever?

And then I couldn't think of other examples, but wanted to turn John-Wayne into a verb on my blog, so I posted about this anyway.